RESOURCES AVAILABLE TO RESIDENTS:
- Educational support and advocacy
- Therapeutic intervention in the form of individual, group and family therapy
- Recreational and leisure activities
- Independent living skills (driver’s permits, schooling/training, birth certificates, social security cards)
- Psychiatric evaluation and medication management
- Psychological evaluation
- Cultural/Religious programming, activities and advocacy
- Outpatient chemical dependency
- Health care-medical, dental, eye and other relevant needs or requests.
- Transitional services
Each resident will have a treatment plan. Treatment plan development will be based upon placement critical goals as identified by the placing agent, along with input from the entire treatment team, including the resident and resident’s parent/guardian. Treatment plans are reviewed monthly.
Little Sand Group Homes contracts with licensed therapists who provide on-site individual therapy. The therapists provide family therapy when requested, as well as weekly skills and educational groups to the residents. The consulting therapists meet with Little Sand Group Homes staff each week in order to assist in addressing the individualized needs of each resident. Additional psychological and psychiatric services, such as evaluations and medication management are available from specified providers within the surrounding communities.
Little Sand offers a large variety of structured daily recreation and leisure activities year round.
During the school year weekly activities and outings include:
- Nature Walks
- Sledding and Ice Skating
- Roller Skating
- Plays and Performances
- Craft Projects
- YMCA swimming and fitness activities
During the summer, activities include:
- Specialized Summer Activities and Skill Building Program
- Canoeing & Boating
- Basketball, Softball, Soccer, Volleyball, Badminton, Croquet and other outdoor games
- Cake decorating
- DNR Nature activities
- Day Camp
- LSGH Olympics (Residents participate in a variety of events and win Olympic-Iike ribbons and medals over a three day period. A large award ceremony with a celebration dinner and fun activities follow.
Little Sand residents are offered a variety of educational opportunities, all of which are overseen by School District 118, specifically Northland High School and Elementary School. Educational placement is determined by the treatment team upon intake and is modified accordingly over the course of the resident’s stay. The Little Sand Program Director, along with case managers, meet with school staff, including the school principal, guidance counselor and special education director, every two weeks to discuss the residents’ academic progress and keep abreast of any issues or concerns as they arise.
- Mainstream Public School
- On-site alternative setting
- Computerized Self-Paced Curriculum
- Credit Recovery
- Little Sand Summer School
- Correspondence Courses
- Post-Secondary option available through Itasca Community College in Grand Rapids, MN
- On-line courses